The Provost’s House of Trinity College Dublin which stands at the bottom of Grafton Street is also open to the public as part of Open House Dublin 2017. The building was begun in 1759, and is screened from the street by a walled forecourt, with the former stables now used for academic research, but retaining a covered passage which connects the house to Parliament Square in TCD.
The Provost’s House was initially examined in 1998 at the request of the Director of Buildings, TCD. The aim of the project was to assess the condition of the stonework and the impact of intense soiling on a number of historic buildings and monuments in TCD in advance of a programme of cleaning. While most of the building was cleaned during this period, the ground floor of the facade and its rusticated wings remained was left uncleaned as the project tested potential cleaning methods and techniques for the vulnerable Ardbraccan limestone work. This included water-based cleaning methods, bespoke stone-cleaning poultices, laser cleaning trials (the first in Ireland) and chemical consolidation.
The building was included in the Stone Monuments Decay Study 2000. The facade was examined again in 2007 as part of a study examining the impact of climate change on stone weathering and the soiling of historic masonry funded by The Heritage Council. The condition of the facade was examined again in 2010 as part of the Stone Monuments Decay Study 2010 which looked at changes to a representative sample of historic buildings and archaeological monuments over a decade.